In my family, Thanksgiving is the official start to the Christmas decorating season. In the Shenandoah Valley, it starts even earlier, so if you’re like me, you’re already behind!
When you’re ready to buy your tree, you have the option of going to a big-box store, but for about the same price, you can support a local business. Tree farms are an important part of Virginia’s agriculture, and while that tree is growing, it helps keep our air a little cleaner. Once it has served its holiday purpose, trees can become refuge for fish, mulch for the gardens, or a home for critters. We saw an opossum family vacate our brush pile a few years ago.
Check out the following local suppliers of Christmas trees. Let me know if you like one, or if you know of others, and we’ll add them to the site. Buy local – Buy Shenandoah!
**This page is updated as information is provided**
- Don’s Tree Farm – 757 Rose Road, Edinburg, VA 22824; 540-984-8136
- Helsley’s Christmas Trees – 210 Manor Drive, Edinburg, VA 22824; 540-984-4903; “Choose and Cut Christmas Trees: Douglas Fir, Norway Spruce, Colorado Blue Spruce”
- Mountain View Farm – Edinburg, VA, “3 1/2 miles w of Woodstock, off of Rt 42 on Rittenour Road.”; 540-459-5584; “Choose and cut a Fir, Pine, Spruce, or Blue Cypress. No higher price for larger trees.” **Note, this is where we buy our trees. See pictures of this Shenandoah tree farm.
- Zirkles Evergreens – “Rt. 635, 3 miles N of Elkton;” 540-298-8836; Cut your own “Scotch & White Pine, Blue & Norway Spruce, Concolor, Nordmann Fir.”
- Ratliff’s Christmas Trees – 540-896-8442; “Fraser fir, Canaan Fir.”
- Evergreen Tree Farm -2411 Flook Lane, Keezletown, VA 22832; 540-269-2691; “Choose & Cut plus fresh cut trees including White Pine, Scotch Pine, Norway Spruce, Blue Spruce, Concolor Fir, Douglas Fir, & Fraser Fir .”
- Valley Star Farm – “3 miles N of Luray by Rt. 340 at 1104 Springfield Road, Luray, VA 22835; 540-860-8040;”Choose & Cut plus fresh cut trees including White Pine, Scotch Pine, Norway Spruce, Blue Spruce, Concolor Fir, Douglas Fir, & Fraser Fir .”
- Elf Christmas Tree Farm – 6960 Artillery Road, Port Republic, VA; “Blue Spruce, Norway Spruce, and White Pines.”
- Buddy Myer’s Christms Tree Farm – Route 1, Box 129, Timberville, VA; 540-174-3475
- Ratliff’s Tree Farm – 540-896-2431 or 540-896-8442; “Fraser fir, Canaan Fir.”
- Rudolph’s Christmas Trees & Wreaths – 449 Endless Caverns Boulevard, Timberville, VA; 540-740-3475
- Blair Farms – 277 Crider Lane, Woodstock, VA 22664; 540-459-2090
- Mountain View Farm – “3 1/2 miles w of Woodstock, off of Rt 42 on Rittenour Road.”; 540-459-5584; “Choose and cut a Fir, Pine, Spruce, or Blue Cypress. No higher price for larger trees.” **Note, this is where we bought our 2010 tree. See pictures of this Shenandoah tree farm.
**This information was culled from various advertisements and was accurate at the time of this post. Please call farms before visiting to ensure the information is still accurate.***** This personal blog is comprised solely of the opinions, views, projects, and travels of its author, Stacey Morgan Smith. She is lucky enough to have loving family and friends whom she drags along with her on her adventures and whom she puts to work on her little farm. She uses this blog to help promote living in the mountains of the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, from Roanoke to the Potomac River.**